Founded in 1971 Automechanika Frankfurt has developed to become the most important meeting place for the industry, dealership trade and maintenance and repair segment. We take a look back on five decades of trade fair history and its showcased innovations.
50 years automotive aftermarket
- 1970s: Green, yellow, red and orange – colours were striking in the 70s. As the range of cars on offer increased, more importers entered the market. Safety was a key area of focus. In 1971 – the same year Automechanika was founded- the airbag was patented in Germany. In 1978 ABS (anti-block-system) hit the market.
- 1980s: Environmental aspects are a focus area with the special emission test (ASU, Abgas-Sonder-Untersuchung) being introduced to Germany in 1985. The decade also witnesses a boom time for car parts: Spoilers rocker panels, custom wheels and lowered suspensions are all the rage. Yet the highpoint is the fall of the wall in 1989, the opening of the East creates a new market for many.
- 1990s: Affordable telephone networks and mobile phones become available – resulting in in-car-phones. Soon to be followed by navigation systems that can be retro-fitted. At the same time, the digitisation of the automotive business goes hand-in-hand with the introduction of workshop networking.
- 2000s: The possible impacts of hybrid cars on work in automotive workshops are a topic of discussion as they require special training courses for high-voltage technology. The internet is increasingly serving as a source of information. The end of the decade witnesses the market launch of the first Tesla. Apple launches the iPhone and eventually impacts the features found in cars.
- 2010s: Topics like digitization and connectivity revolutionize complex processes in vehicles and workshops. Features such as automatic parking assistants offer insights into a future of autonomous driving. The demand for alternative drive systems increases.
What exhibitors and partners had to say:
‘Bringing innovations and emotions together on the same stage – it is a feat that Automechanika accomplishes again and again. It's no wonder that we've been taking advantage of this successful trade fair format for many decades.’
‘The 25th Automechanika promises to be a very special event. The German automotive industry was there at the birth of this trade fair – today it is a brand known worldwide. Automechanika is the leading international trade fair for the automotive industry.’
‘Automechanika Frankfurt has been a red-letter date for us since it first began in the early 1970. Automechanika offers us the perfect framework in which to engage in dialogue with our customers – dealers and workshops.’
‘We look forward to continuing our close partnership with the trade fair team far into the future, and wish this anniversary Automechanika event all the best.’
‘We have exhibited at every Automechanika in Frankfurt right from the start. Since its debut in 1971, the trade fair has repeatedly demonstrated its keen insight into the trends and requirements of the industry. Congratulations on the 25th anniversary!’
‘We would like to congratulate the Automechanika team on the 25th anniversary of an event that has served as a beacon for our sector.’